-->

Van Gaal defiant amid exit talk

Louis van Gaal refused to be drawn on his future as speculation linking Jose Mourinho with Manchester United intensified.
No sooner had United lifted the FA Cup after a dramatic extra-time victory over Crystal Palace, Sky Sports News HQ reported the former Chelsea boss was set to replace Van Gaal at Old Trafford.
But, speaking at his post-match press conference, Van Gaal - who lauded the trophy in front of the media in attendance - snubbed the chance to discuss whether his time with United could be coming to an end.
"I show you the cup and I don't discuss that [my future] with my friends in the media, who have already sacked me for six months," he said.
"Which [other] manager can do what I have done? I don't want to talk about leaving."
Jesse Lingard's stunning volley guided United to their first piece of silverware since Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement in 2013, yet the victory was overshadowed by the revelations surrounding Van Gaal's future.
Despite this, the United boss spoke of his pride at emulating the club's legendary manager with a first FA Cup final triumph since 2004.
"I said when I started as manager that we were in a process of transition," Van Gaal added. "I have already said that a lot of times in press conferences.
"I have to refresh my selections in my squad and I have done it in spite of the many injuries this season. We are fifth in the race and now we have lifted a cup.
"That is a title and it was three years ago that United had a title. I am very proud that I am the first manager after the period of Sir Alex Ferguson [to win a trophy]. I have had a picture with him, that is history."
Asked whether he would be at United next season, Van Gaal added: "I have signed a three-year deal so you never know."
(Sky Sports)

No comments:

Post a Comment